Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:18:35 +0200
From:      Holger Kipp <holger.kipp@alogis.com>
To:        frank@exit.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Numerous hard hangs on TWO different ASUS P4T-E w/P4 1.6G

Frank Mayhar wrote:

> I'm experiencing hangs as well.  At first I thought it was the fxp0/sym
> driver thing, but I've since changed hardware almost completely and the
> hangs persis.  I'm now strongly suspecting some kind of interrupt problem.
> For the record, I've attached my dmesg output.  This is a dual AMD MP 1900+
> (1.6 GHz) Tyan 2466N-4M system.  3Com xl0 ethernet, Adaptec 39160 and 3940
> SCSI, Creative Soundblaster Live! audio, Radeon 8500 128MB video (XFree86
> 4.2).  2GB DDR memory.

Short notice regarding fxp0/sym driver problem:

Gérard Roudier was very helpful here and sent me a patch against the sym-driver,
intended to check for stalled irqs (and work around this issue if possible).

In fact for these hangs to occur, I need both fxp0 and sym0 to share the same
irq and a SMP system.

As said his patch is checking for irq stalls. Without the patch, I'd only
get "fxp0: device timeout", and both sym0 and fxp0 would hang (could be freed
with "ifconfig fxp0 down; ifconfig fxp0 up", if ifconfig was already loaded
into RAM at that time...)
With his patch, I still get "fxp0: device timeout", but the sym driver would
still be able to process outstanding irqs, and fxp0 also frees itself after
a short time (a few seconds). Triggering via a simple "ping -f".

My guess is that the problems are not necessarily fxp- or sym-related, but
general irq handling problems. Due to code optimization, timing might be
more critical, so a broader range of systems might be affected (stable had
several postings with similar hangs with a broad range of different hardware).

Regards,
Holger

--
Holger Kipp, Dipl.-Math., Systemadministrator  | alogis AG
Fon: +49 (0)30 / 43 65 8 - 114                 | Berliner Strasse 26