Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 12:00:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry <jerryr@ComCAT.COM>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: inbox READ ONLY/not sending

> > > pine needs to have write permission on /var/mail. /var/mail should
> > > have gid=mail, so pine needs to be install setgid=mail as well.
> >
> > This makes sense the pine needs write permission but where is this done
> > at??
>
> Pine should have permissions to rw to the owner's files when invoked
> by the owner. The gid should not matter. I should point out, the
> default, "out-of-the-box" setup for FreeBSD has the permissions set as
> shown.
>
> > Now to add the the confussion a user can send to root but no one can send
> > to a user...?  The message appears to send but it never gets returned.
> > The message appear to arrive, a file for the user is created in
> > /var/mail but the user get no new message.
>
> Are all of these users on the same machine? Have you hacked the
> 'sendmail.cf' at all? Have you done anything to /etc/aliases? Do you
> make sure to 'newaliases' after making changed to /etc/aliases. Are
> people reading the mail from accounts on the machine? Or an NFS
> mounted disk? Do users have the MAIL environmental variable set? Is it
> set correctly?

People are readin their mail directly from the machine (1 machine) from
pine 3.96 .  I have made changes to /etc/aliases just adding  thing like
myname: root .  I did atempt to upgrade to sendmail-8.9.0. I compiled but
wasn't able to install. (I don't know how!)

> What does that last sentence mean? 'It appears to arrive' since there
> is a file created in /var/mail? But then you say they don't get a
> message? So an empty file is created?

I file was being created and the mail was within the file but users where
getting no mail.  Thats been cleared up.  I'm back to my orig problem of
the mail being read only when its opened.

Thanks for your help!