Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 2002 19:51:41 +0100
From:      Eric Veraart <eric@monkey-online.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Filtering out problem with IPFilter

Hello,

I'm running a FreeBSD gateway here with IPFilter. I noticed that packets
comming in from the network can be filtered and blocked, but once they
are through I can't filter them with out rules.
For example;
I make a rule to pass in all traffic from xl0 to any
Then I say all traffic out on ep0 is allowed, but on xl1 only a small
range of addresses can go out. What I notice is that all computers on
xl0 can go to an address behind xl1. The gateway itself can't go out on
xl1. It almost seems as if gateway_enable="YES" in rc.conf lets packets
bypass the filter after comming in.
I'm not using NAT. Though this is not a big problem, because I can
manage everything through IN rules, it's still strange.

Greetings,
Eric