Date:      21 Dec 2006 14:58:05 -0800
From:      "Raymundo M. Vega" <rvega@sansay.com>
To:        Fabio Miranda Hamburger <fabmirha@ns.isi.ulatina.ac.cr>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org, "Govindarajan, Sing" <Sing.Govindarajan@us.fujitsu.com>
Subject:   Re: I have question about Freebsd-database

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 12:55, Fabio Miranda Hamburger wrote:
> >> I am trying to find some information about Freebsd.
> >>
> >> is it a database or operating system?
> >> I see lot of documents for operating system, but I don't see any document for
> >> freebsd database.
> >>
> >> If there is database named freebsd , please provide more details.
> >>
> >> I would appreaciate any help in this regard.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> -Sing
> >
> > Hello Sing,
> >
> > FreeBSD is a Unix styled operating system. It also has many database
> > applications available for installation. FreeBSD is often used to run databases
> > because it is very fast, arguably the fastest operating system freely
> > available. Many large web sites and datacenters use FreeBSD as their operating
> > system.
> >

> Looks like a great option but it you analize closer, it doesnt provide a
> native Oracle version. You cann't hire support contract for FreeBSD, it
> doesnt provide any warranty, so it is not a good option for core banking,
> for example.
>
> I think that Solaris 10 is quite a option nowadays.
>
> My .99 cents.

If you search google for "freebsd support"
(without quotes) this is one of the first
links and there are other, so what you
said is not correct.

http://www.unixporting.com/freebsd-support.html

There are other databases elsewere with support
(paid support) for your favorite OS. Don't forget
that if there is a market, you will find a supplier.

raymundo