Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 2010 01:31:51 +0200
From:      Adam Nowacki <nowak@xpam.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS arc sizing (maybe related to kern/145229)

check kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.memory_throttle_count
This counter is increased every time zfs thinks system is running low on
memory and will force a write flush and reduce arc size to minimum.
Biggest problem is that the code is counting only free memory and
completely ignoring other memory that can be immediately freed like
cached files from ufs. This is very easy to trigger on mixed ufs and zfs
system by just reading enough data from ufs to fill its cache, zfs will
begin throttling and will continue doing so even with no further ufs
reads or writes.