Date:      Sun, 06 Mar 2011 14:15:56 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yue Wu <vanopen@gmail.com>
Cc:        ml-freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Question about packages installed via `pkg_add -r`

On 03/05/2011 17:00, Yue Wu wrote:
> Hello, sorry for poor English, I will try to explan clearer with my
> best.
>
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 04:48:17PM +0100, Greg Byshenk wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 11:04:36PM +0800, Yue Wu wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to use package instead of ports these day, but a few
>>> questions have:
>>>
>>> 1. How to reserve packages that fetched via `pkg_add -r`?
>>>
>>> 2. How to know if there are updates for packages, and how to update?
>>
>> For (1), do you mean 'preserve', as in save a copy?  If so, then
>> 'portmaster -b [...]' will save a backup copy of installed packages.
>
> Yes, I mean 'preserve'. I've maned portmaster, seems -b is for a
> installed package, so it will preserve it by packing up the files from a
> installed package, why not preserve it just when fetching with `pkg_add
> -r`? I think it's the best way, I don't like the portmaster way to do it
> after.

This is why I wanted to confirm what you intended to do. The -b option
does indeed preserve the existing version of the package, but the
behavior that you're looking for (saving a copy of the new package) is
actually the default behavior. The downloaded packages are saved in
/usr/ports/packages/portmaster-download.

It sounds like your best best would be to have an up to date ports tree,
and use the -P option to install packages whenever they are available.

hope this helps,

Doug

			-- OK Go