Date:      Wed, 08 Apr 1998 22:57:56 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        "G.P." <G.P@chatcity.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, G.P@yamuna.will.knipp.de
Subject:   Re: Strange lines in /var/log/messages

G.P. wrote:

> Hi!
> Recently I found a line in our /var/log/messages (running 2.2.5) I never saw
> before:
> Apr  9 00:27:20 <foreign IP> GET ../..
> like
> Apr  9 00:27:20 123.45.67.89 GET ../..

	Same thing happened to one of my customer's systems. Turns out it's
some fifteen year old boy's http exploit that happened to connect to
your open syslog port. If you don't need to accept logs from remote
sites, kill syslogd and restart it with -s. You can also put that flag
in /etc/rc.conf.

Doug

PS, thanks to those who responded to my previous question on this topic,
I got food poisoning over the weekend and am still catching up.

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest