Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:36:10 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Bernhard_Fr=C3=B6hlich?= <decke@freebsd.org>
To:        Gresnald Orlas <gresnald@gmail.com>
Cc:        vbox@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot set VBOX_USE_IPV6 for VNC Server (VBoxVNC.cpp)

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 3:16 AM, Gresnald Orlas <gresnald@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently had a problem where the VNC server in VirtualBox would not bind
> to any IPV6 port except for the default.  I did some research and found
> this <
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2014-January/011194.html>;
> and this <
> http://newsarc.net/showthread.php/muc.lists.freebsd.emulation/Ports174976%3A%20Fix%20For%20IPv6%20Port%20Setting/4E0B86FF-9C4D-4CDA-87FC-D6F75926695F@lassitu.de>;
> After finding the last part I verified that the newer code is unpacked in
> the ports directory.  After trying several things I could not get the
> VBOX_USE_IPV6 bit to be set and the program always compiled with the
> default (broken) code.  Anyway after playing around some more it looks to
> me like kmk ignores /etc/make.conf and any CFLAGS passed in via the port
> 'make CFLAGS=' command.  I could be doing something obviously wrong, but I
> think I am testing this right.  Perhaps kmk is supposed to work this way?
>  In any case I thought you might want to know.  I checked the IRC channel,
> but no maintainers were around so I am sending this to vbox@freebsd.org
> (maintainer) instead.  Hope this helps someone.  In the meantime for myself
> I have a patch which takes away the code for the default behavior from
> VBoxVNC.cpp directly.  If am doing something obviously wrong please let me
> know so I can do upgrades correctly and drop my ugly patch.

No kBuild (kmk) is not supposed to work that way. You need to patch the cpp
file as you did if you want/need that.

We did include that change in the port some time ago but it caused some
serious regression for other users so we had to revert it. That code
is definitely
a mess in vbox and just enabling that define is only the simple part
of the work.

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/