Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 02:19:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      James <higginsj@iname.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Yana Lehey <yana@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Back to school

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> I foresee golden periods in which the true learned ones (e.g. the people
> that make IP tick, like the Unix and Unix clone folks) leading the less
> knowledgeable ones.

They are well on the way.

I recently started a new semester as a senior in a computer science
cirricula.  I am taking "Intro to Data Communications"  which is  a
4400 level course at my school and populated with students most would
assume to be reasonably knowledgeable although a bit green around the
edges.

As soon as it was announced that UNIX is the preferred platform for
assignments a student announced,  "Why can't we use NT?!?!".  He also
seemed upset that he would *GASP* have to edit text files for system
configuration.

Not to mention that in the sophomore "File Processing" course all students
seem to gripe after being drug away from learning C/C++ in Windows to
writing for a UNIX machine.

James Higgins