Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:39:27 -0600
From:      Tony Kemp <tkemp@hmd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting up NNTP and INN

Hello,

I've just gone through the process of installing NNTPD and INN on our
FreeBSD 2.2.5 system.  Everything seems to be running okay, but when I
connect with a newsreader, I get every newsgroup under the sun (almost
30000).  I would like to set up for a PULL feed of only around 2000 or less
than that.  I can't seem to see where the program is pulling this huge list
of groups.  I don't want to get the actual feed turned on until I know I'm
not going to fill up the server with all those news articles.

The other problem I have with NNTPD is that when the newsreader connects, I
get the following message on the console:

Jul 16 10:45:28 hmd nntpd[1426]: nlist of /vmunix failed: No such file or
direct
ory
Jul 16 11:20:13 hmd nntpd[1640]: nlist of /vmunix failed: No such file or
direct
ory
Jul 16 11:28:13 hmd nntpd[1679]: nlist of /vmunix failed: No such file or
direct
ory

Why is it looking for this directory and how can I fix this?

Also when I started INN, I got this message:

Jul 16 09:55:20 hmd inndstart: inndstart cant bind Address already in use

Is INN supposed to function without NNTPD?  Or do they work together?  Even
though I got this error, the processes are running.

Tony Kemp   ---   Graphic Designer & System Administrator
Huddleston Malone Design    56 Exchange Place, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Phone: 801.595.6808  Fax: 801.595.6841
http://www.hmd.com/