Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 00:33:10 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   THIS IS A SCAM was:  Helping victims of terror

Hi All,

  I'm extremely disappointed to report (for those of you who
haven't caught on yet) that the spamming community has already
started taking advantage of the disaster in their neverending
quest to harvest good e-mail addresses.

  I've already seen a dozen of these types of letters.  What they
are is attempts to get you to respond to the sender.  (this is
why I deleted "help victims" from the To: line on this)  The
sender of course merely collects your return address and adds it
to their collection of addresses to spam in the future.

  Please, tell your associates that if you see any of these kinds
of letters DO NOT respond to them and DELETE them immediately!  There
is another one of these floating around out there claiming to
have a communication from the Red Cross asking for blood and money
donations.  Well, the Red Cross would never resort to spam to get
the word out for anything, much less ask for money!

  I had thought that there were things that even spammers wouldn't
stoop to doing but I guess nothing is sacred.