Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:19:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Arne "Wörner" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nick Pavlica <linicks@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 I/O Performance / Linux 2.6.10 | Continued Discussion

I did some tests with
1. Knoppix V3.7 2004-12-08 (kernel version 2.4.27)
and
2. FreeBSD R5.3.

I used the same harddisc slice for the tests (just the *ad1.sh
scripts uses another slice, because I was curious; I do not know
the results). hw.ata.wc was enabled.

My findings are:
1. Linux is much faster with "async" mount (somebody in this
thread already mentioned that yesterday).
2. FreeBSD with soft updates is much faster than Linux with sync
mount.

See
  http://home.tiscali.de/cmdr_faako/
for further details (until 2005-01-27 00:00 Zulu Time (GMT+00)).

Further research is necessary, if I wanted to find out, what
async/sync mount means (especially in the case of enabled write
cache?), or why async mount is much faster...

-Arne