Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:36:44 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Thanos Tsouanas <thief_grr@yahoo.com>, FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ld problems with Xft library

On Sunday 23 February 2003 11:12 am, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 13:56, Kent Stewart wrote:

> > > You should get into a habit of using portupgrade.  It does more
> > > or less does the make/pkg_delete/make reinstall thing, but it
> > > also saves old libraries so you can binaries gradually, as well
> > > as verify dependency order and consistency.  It's also very
> > > flexible and configurable.
> >
> > It isn't fool proof. I did that but right now (after I did a Xft-2
> > upgrade) I have a user login without proper fonts on kde-3. On the
> > system creating the packages, I have user fonts but not on the
> > system I used '-Pufr' to do the upgrades. When I say user, I mean I
> > have fonts on a root login but not as my user name.
>
> Run fc-cache -f -v and see if that helps.

It changed the environment,  i.e., a window suddenly had larger fonts,
but when I run KCharSelect, all I still see are little boxes.

So far, I have -PufR XFree86, and -Pufr Xft and done the fc-cache.

The system is an AMD 900 and rebuilding everything would take hours
longer than the 2000+ XP did :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart