Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:47:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        wilko@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Dave Haney <dave@engg.ksu.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unexpected machine check

Wilko Bulte writes:

 > There is definitely a bogon somewhere as far as X on Alpha goes. The problem
 > seems to be core logic chipset related, people fortunate enough to own
 > Tsunami based systems do not seem to have these problems. Also the type of
 > VGA chip seems to matter.

I suspect the real problem is bugs in the X server & that's why some
cards (Matrox, 3DLabs Permedia) work and others don't.  The Tsunami
chipset itself just masks bugs.  Like a PC, writes to invalid I/O
ports, etc are ignored & reads return -1.  Such accesses will cause
machine checks on all other alphas.

If somebody was to go through the effort of building one of these
failing X servers with symbols, the PC mentioned in the machine check
would likely be the PC of the offending instruction.  Or close to it.
In fact, I wonder if we couldn't hack up a kernel to send a sigbus to
the offending X server & get a core dump rather than panicing.

Drew