Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:06:05 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed

On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 07:07:35AM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > The problem most people have with ed(1) is that they don't have enough
> > context to compare it to OTHER line editors, something which I
> > unfortunately have in spades.
>
> Yeah, me too.  Those who think ed is bad should try, for instance,
> that horrid editor that came with CP/M, or "sos" on TOPS-10.  Or,
> as an example of something other FreeBSD'ers MAY have seen, edlin.
> Remember that barfluous little botch?

Aaahhhhh, EDLIN. :)

> > Those who started with vi and then perhaps went on to emacs just have
> > no perspective on what something like ed(1) represents. :-)

Personally, after having to use EDLIN a bit, I stayed far far away
from line editors, preferring fullscreen editors such as:

MS-DOS EDIT (what an editor.  unmatched capabilities)
MS Notepad (again, Microsoft comes up with a winner)
xedit (I wonder how many were forced to use this VM/CMS monstrosity.)
pico (Ugreat Ueditor, Ureally.)
ee (in the spirit of EDIT, I'm sure)
joe (wasn't really my cup of tea)
emacs (Eighteen Megs And Crashes Steadily, someone once told me)
elvis (vi impersonator)

and finally got smart enough to use:

vim (the crown jewel of text editors)

I think I'd actually prefer ed to some of those. :)

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                    The best way to accelerate Windows
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com             is at 9.8 m/s^2.