Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:34:43 -0700
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        krinklyfig@spymac.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Your 3rd and last chance to help me with vmware

On 7/21/2004 11:34 AM Joshua Tinnin wrote:

>On Wednesday 21 July 2004 10:20 am, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
>wrote:
>

>>On 7/20/2004 3:45 PM Thompson, Jimi wrote:
>>

>>>FreeBSD has 3 types of distros - "CURRENT", "STABLE", and
>>>"RELEASE". In order of increasing stability, they are:
>>>
>>>"CURRENT" = currently in development (Alpha) and by far the least stable
>>>of the 3
>>>
>>>"RELEASE" = released to the populous at large (Beta) and fairly stable
>>>but may have some issues
>>>
>>>"STABLE" = well, just that, stable and the production release of the OS
>>>

>>You've got STABLE and RELEASE mixed-up.  STABLE is the beta and RELEASE
>>is production.  A RELEASE is a snapshot in the STABLE branch that has
>>been tested and deemed ready for production.  STABLE is usually "stable"
>>but is still a development branch and thus, beta.
>>
>>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.ht
>>ml
>>

>Then why do I hear that 5.2.1-RELEASE is not ready to be called STABLE? Why
>would it be downgraded? Why have there been no STABLE 5.x branches? Or am I
>just confused?

I know Charles Swiger has discussed this and pointed you to the release
engineering doc but this might even simplify it further.  A "RELEASE" is
nothing more than a snapshot of the tree at a specific point in time.
Thus a 4-STABLE release is a stable release and a 5-CURRENT is a current
release.  Therefore all of the CURRENT warnings apply to  5.2.1-RELEASE
although it is much less likely to contain as many problems as just
grabbing the most recent version of CURRENT.

I know it's confusing.

HTH,

Drew

--