Date:      Fri, 09 Oct 1998 16:45:56 +0200
From:      "José Mª Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "dataless" booting?

Hello,

I wonder about the possibility of booting FreeBSD in "dataless"
mode. I mean that the hard disk is used only for loading the
kernel and doing swap, while all the file systems (/, /var [one per
client] and /usr [shared]) reside on an NFS server. Is this possible?
Another solution could be to store / and /var on the local disk, and
mount /usr from the server. In any case, I don't want to boot from the
network, because this is supported only with a few network adapters.

I read the FAQ and the handbook, but I couldn't find a clear answer
to this question.

-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-944647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139