Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:29:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        axtjr@UAA.ALASKA.EDU
Cc:        FreeBSD Users Lists <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Arkay Networking Unix list <unix@arkay.net>
Subject:   Re: X configuration

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998 axtjr@UAA.ALASKA.EDU wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a P5/166 with 32 megs of RAM. We have a
> Diamond Stealth 2500 Series Video card with 2 megs of RAM. When I get SVGA
> X Server to load, the desktop comes up no problem. But I have vertical
> lines appearing all over the screen and the characters are virtually
> unreadable (alot of distortion). I have a 15 inch monitor capable of 1280
> x 1024, whoever I've been running it in 800x600 (as well as a few tests at
> 1024 x 768). Its a KDS Monitor Model VS-51, VSync 50-120, HSync 28- 70,
> Refresh 1024x768, 85 Mhz.
>
> Anyone have any idea how to clear this problem up? I'm pretty sure the
> video card is working properly. Comments? Ideas?

The modelines are incorrect for your system type. Did you run xf86config
to select your card and appropriate modelines?

> On another minor problem, I've been evaluating the different POP3 servers
> that come with FreeBSD ports. I've installed popper and ipop3d. Both work
> very well, I think I like popper better for its logging ability, but I've
> been unable to find any method to do any sort of configuration, or a
> reference to how to resolve certain errors I get from clients. (Netscape
> mail causes popper to report incorrect number of arguments during
> authentication).

The Netscape problem is a known bug.  In general, the pop servers aren't
too configurable except from the command line perhaps.  Take a look
through the mail archives to find out how to fix your Netscape POP
problems:  http://www.freebsd.org/search.html.