Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2002 10:12:10 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Kevin McCormick" <kmccorm1@stevens-tech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting wi and wicontrol under control

> From: "Kevin McCormick" <kmccorm1@stevens-tech.edu>
> Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:47:29 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently running RELEASE-4.5 on a Compaq Armada E500 with a Compaq
> WL110 802.11b card.  I'm using a slightly modified GENERIC kernel (for sound
> support and WINE).  The notebook also has an integrated 10/100 NIC
>
> I can' seem to figure out how to use my wireless card.  I seem to have wi
> working properly.  Using wicontrol, I can set the WEP key, network name,
> etc., and using an X wi tool, I get the appropriate signal strength (i.e. I
> seem to be connected on the MAC level).
>
> Here are the problems:
>
> 1. I can't seem to figure out how to use dhclient to obtain an IP address -
> typing in dhclient returns "cannot bind address"  Also, if I use ifconfig to
> manually assign an address, it doesn't seem to "stick", and still can't ping
> any addresses.
In /etc/rc.conf, add the lines 'ifconfig_wi0="DHCP"',
'pccard_enable="YES"', and 'pccardd_flags="-z"'.

> 2. All of the wicontrol settings are lost when I restart the PC.  I need to
> type them in every time to get signal.
Create a file named /etc/start_if.wi0 and insert the wicontrol
commands you want executed to get the card configured. This typically
means the WEP key and enabling WEP. It can include any commands you
want executed when the wi0 card is installed, wicontrol or not.

> 3. pccardd doesn't seem to recognize the card until the "network setup:
> hostname" portion of the boot sequence.

This should be fixed by the stuff in the answer to question 1,
particularly the pccardd_flags. (Note the extra 'd'!)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)