Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:48:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Perl5.6 to be MFC'd for 4.4-RELEASE?

Okay, so far what I've been able to figure out is:

cd /usr/ports/Mk
apply the following patch:

*** bsd.port.mk.orig    Mon Jul 30 10:41:11 2001
--- bsd.port.mk Mon Jul 30 10:41:47 2001
***************
*** 862,868 ****
  PERL_ARCH=            mach
  .else
  .if ${OSVERSION} >= 300000
! PERL_VERSION= 5.6.1
  .else
  PERL_VERSION= 5.00502
  .endif
--- 862,868 ----
  PERL_ARCH=            mach
  .else
  .if ${OSVERSION} >= 300000
! PERL_VERSION= 5.6.1
  .else
  PERL_VERSION= 5.00502
  .endif

which will make your ports system know its 5.6.1 for installing Perl Ports
... and which allows lang/perl5 to know to install 5.6.1 ...

If you install lang/perl5 as:

'make LOCALBASE=/usr install', it will put it all into the regular
hierarchy, and, as Anton states, add 'NO_PERL=true' as appropriate ...

The only 'problem' ... if you have any perl modules alredy installed, you
appear to have to re-install those modules, but that is a small thing ...