Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 23:11:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "Mark G.M. O'Lear" <mgolear@mailbox.syr.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: network problems

On Wed, 5 Jul 1995, Mark G.M. O'Lear wrote:

> It looks like you are having a nameserver problem (or NIS).
> My guess is your nameserver(s) are on the other end of the SLIP
> connection.  When you are connected via SLIP the nameserver
> responds to your queries (although slightly slow because of the
> SLIP speed).  When you disconnect from the SLIP line, there is
> no way to reach your nameserver(s) and the host lookup calls take a
> long time to timeout.

you are correct... the only strange thing is that it isn't looking for
the name to ip file... what it really was looking for was the ip to name
nameserver file...  what the problem was is that I didn't have a reverse
name server file configured and writen... once I added that reverse name
file it made my system work perfectly...

> Try commenting out the "bind" and "nis" lines from your
> /etc/host.conf file and try netstat -r or -i.  You should get
> a response with no delay.  If this is much faster, make sure
> that you have the local nameserver (not through the SLIP
> line) listed first in /etc/resolv.conf file (and uncomment
> the "bind" and/or "nis" lines again if you need them).  Also
> make sure that all external nameservers actually are up
> and running (use host, nslookup or dig) when you have your
> SLIP line up.

I did this and it about scared me how fast the netstat -r and -i
returned...  it was almost instantious, display just as fast as my
terminal could...

so the heart of the problem was not having a reverse name server file...
I now have the bind then hosts in my host.conf and every thing else
works...  Thanks for all the help you gave me... TTYL...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)