Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:14:28 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISPs blocking SMTP connections from dynamic IP address space

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:19:57AM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
<snip>
> Within the last two months both AOL and Time Warner Road Runner have implemented port 25
> blocks from hosts with IP addresses in the "dynamic address space".  Time Warner claims
> other major ISPs are/will be implementing the same policy.
I've read through this thread with some interest but I couldn't find
anywhere any qualification of this 'dynamic address space' you say AOL
et al are blocking - do you have a source for this claim?

Actually I think there was one reply that mentioned a lot of netblocks
that were being included.  If it's the case that those netblocks are
admin'd by companies that do not (pro)actively attempt to block spam
then I agree they should be blocked.  Presumably the larger companies
you mention have researched the amount of spam trapped at their mail
gateways over time and are sick at the fact the numbers haven't dropped
over time despite complaints to the spammer's admin contacts.

> I support several smaller organizations computer infrastructures.  The server backbone
> in all these orgs is FreeBSD and they all have SMTP servers with IP addresses in the
> "dynamic" space.  More of our outgoing mail is starting to bounce as these ISPs bring
> these new policies online.
AOL et al's policy is probably intended to put pressure on those
netblock's admins to put more effort into stopping spam.

> Is anyone else uneasy with this trend?  Maybe it's just me and I don't like being
> discriminated against because I don't have the money to own static IP addresses.  One
> would think groups of responsible and technically competent users would be organizing
> against this trend and attempting to make their voice heard.
I don't think I am uneasy about this - but then again I'm not on a blacklisted
netblock!.  Having said this though, if I found my bandwidth provider was on a blacklist and had
no intention of attempting to get off it I'd probably move straight away anyway.
--
Jez

http://www.munk.nu/