Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:48:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "John E. Hein" <jhein@timing.com>
To:        Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem Accessing Internet via FreeBSD Gateway

Richard Morte wrote at 19:37 +0100 on Oct 14:
[snip]
 > What I do not understand is that I have ``gateway_enable="YES"'' in my
 > rc.conf file. It's  been there from the date I started configuring
 > FreeBSD as a gateway.
 >
 > I am beginning to wonder if some of the other settings are interfering
 > with the gateway option. I have attached the (quite small) rc.conf file.
 > If anyone can spot any obvious no-no's in the file, please let me know.
[snip]
 > gateway_enable="Yes"
[snip]

You had 'gateway_enable="Yes"' instead of 'gateway_enable="YES"'.
 This is not a particularly user-friendly feature, but rc.network is case
 sensitive for this variable (and others):

    if [ "X$gateway_enable" = X"YES" ]; then
            echo -n ' IP gateway=YES'
            sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 >/dev/null 2>&1
    fi