Date:      Wed, 02 May 2001 16:17:42 -0700
From:      Chris Smith <chrisbsd@fnahealth.com>
To:        "Don Seeger" <dseeger@mail.nwktc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

At 12:43 PM 5/2/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>need a little help on two different issues
>
>issue 1
>
>i am running microsoft proxy server on our network - like to know how i can
>set my bsd machine up as a proxy client so i can access your ftp server for
>upgrade
>
>issue 2
>
>i am play with ipfw and would like to know what allowances i need in order
>to allow nfs to pass through it
>

>thanks
>

>don

I believe that MS Proxy server uses a proprietary protocol to communicate
between client and host, and as such, special software must be running on
each client to use the MS Proxy Server.  I don't believe that there is any
open source client software that will allow connections to an MS Proxy
Server (correct me if I am wrong, of course!).

In this situation, you would benefit by replacing the MS Proxy server with
your FreeBSD box and running natd+ipfw on it, then removing the MS Proxy
client software from all your machines.  You will achieve the same result
that you already have, but your configuration will be much more flexible
and usable.  There are many tutorials out there to explain how to setup
nat.  A good place to start is "man natd".

Enjoy!!