Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:35:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        Matthew M Groener <matt@xlrn.ucsb.edu>, "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: out of mbuf crash

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Studded wrote:

> nmbclusters kernel option.  I've raised it to 15000 on a 2.2.1 system.

  nmbclusters are statically allocated.  Pre-allocating 15000 will consume
a LOT of RAM.

> 1383 mbufs in use:
>         649 mbufs allocated to data
>         725 mbufs allocated to packet headers
>         8 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
>         1 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
> 62/3574 mbuf clusters in use
>
> 	The number after the / in the 6th line will tell you
> (basically) the highest number of mbuf's ever requested (although I've
> seen higher numbers in use than the max on the 6th).  You want the
> number of mbuf's available to be 50% greater than the max requested.

  The number after the "/", is the number of mbufs currently allocated,
there may never have that many mbufs in use.  When the number of mbufs in
use reaches the number of mbufs allocated, another whole chunk of mbufs
are allocated (assuming you have not reached the limit set by
NMBCLUSTERS).