Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 10:15:45 -0400
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
Subject:   RE: How to enable IP Forwarding

If you are cabling your FBSD box straight to your laptop with out
going through a hub or switch you can not use a standard cable.
You have to use an crossover cable.
This may be why your FBSD Nic thinks it's not connected.
This problem has nothing to do with IP forwarding.
Posting more info would help a lot.
Post contents of your /etc/rc.conf and /var/run/dmesg.boot

Another cause is All Nic cards must have it's own unique IRQ.
By this I mean the Nic card can not be sharing an IRQ number at
the PC bios level. Check the PC post summary status display to
verify the Nic card is not sharing it's IRQ with an other device.
If it is, you can some times correct this by making sure the Nic card
is not in the first or last PCI expansion slots.