Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 16:17:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Sconiers <jrs@enteract.com>
To:        Damon Permezel <dap@damon.com>
Cc:        Steve Byrne <sbb@freegate.com>, gunther@aurora.rg.iupui.edu, patrick@cre8tivegroup.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun Ports JDK to Linux

> This flawless linux compatability must be what makes my netscape (all verions
> I've tried) regularly dump core with EMT trap!
> I don't want to rag on FreeBSD.  I am sad to see freeBSD fall behind.
> Particularly linux.  However, I kept running into reasons why I should
> consider linux, and finally overcame my resistance.

I don't know what version of FreeBSD your running ....however my netscape
3 and 4.05 browser works with 2.2.7 and 3.0.......

Your thoughts are taken in stride  however Linux is different from FreeBSD
in the same token that OS2 is different than Windows.  The developers of
FreeBSD can not  implement "flawless linux compatibilty" because of the
effect it would have on the direction of the OS.  FreeBSD is not a
distribution of  Linux  with a different name.  While they seek to port
Linux utilities and programs....the overall goal, implementation and
outlook is different.

If Linux is the right choice for you......then maybe you should
switch.

JOHN

CC'd to chat