Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 01:02:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        archer@lucky.net
Cc:        H.Husic@Uni-Koeln.DE, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lastlogs 'invalid hostname'

>> I have a decent problem with a 3.0-CURRENT machine here.
>> [hhusic@dvpraktikum hhusic]$ w
>>  5:13PM  up  6:25, 9 users, load averages: 1.01, 1.03, 0.98
>> USER             TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
>> rstevens         p8  invalid hostname  5:11PM     1 -bash (bash)
> In our case I found that "invalid hostname" is written by /usr/bin/login
> when user comes from some address which resolves to some hostname which
> in turn doesn't resolve.

Wouldn't the Right Thing actually be to log the IP quad in that case
instead, like it does with overly long hostnames?

> I patched login not to write 'invalid hostname', but rather to
> write as much of 'long.not.resolvable.host.name' as possible.
> The patch is trivial.

In our copious free time, we may want to actually change it to log
'long...host.name' instead.  Normally, in my experience, I need either
the TLD or the first name of a machine, and the rest is just fluff.

If this seems to be useful to the others, I'll write a patch and
submit a pr.  Others?

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan
   Fourth law of programming: