Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 17:23:39 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   netgraph and ar0 (digi sync/570i)

Hello guys

I've got a few problems with a new FreeBSD 4.1 router test setup.

Up until now I was unsing the Digi Sync/570i (V.35) with the native
driver plus kernel sppp for ppp and/or cisco HDLC mode. No problems
here. Works fine.

To leverage the new possibilities of VPN's, protocol stacking, etc.
I now tried to use it with netgraph.

The card is still detected fine and I set up netgraph with the
following:

   $ ngctl mkpeer sync_ar0: cisco rawdata downstream
   $ ngctl mkpeer sync_ar0:rawdata iface inet inet

OK, now the ng0 interface appears in ifconfig -a and can be configured:

   $ ifconfig ng0 62.48.31.181 62.48.31.182 netmask 255.255.255.252

This brings up the interface but leads to an error message like the
following:

    ar0 Receive error, chan 0, stat a4, msci st3 3, rxhind 25, cda40fa
eda

Has anybody got a hint what might be going wrong here or has got it
working? Remember, without netgraph is works fine.

A few more questions and observations:

 1. With netgraph the ifconfig output shows 'NOARP', without it does
    not.
 2. With netgraph the ifconfig output shows 'SIMPLEX', without it does
    not. This is clearly wrong, leased lines are duplex.

Thanks
--
Andre