Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 07:37:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        MICHAEL_HEITMEIER@HP-Germany-om12.om.hp.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail dial-ups and queue...

MICHAEL_HEITMEIER@HP-Germany-om12.om.hp.com said:
> Yesterday I was finally ready to tackle the problem of sendmail dialing my
> provider every now and then: for missed cron jobs, daily reports, weekly
> reports etc.
> Really an ehaustive topic, given the messages this has generated over
> time. I now disabled sendmail until I really need it but in doing so I
> came across the question how to flush the sendmail queue. Man sendmail did
> not indicate anything to that effect (or I was temporarily blind).

You process the queue using sendmail -q.  You should be able to get
sendmail to queue the mail and defer delivery using the
DeliveryMode=q option.  This may be enough to prevent dial-outs;  the
only thing that I can think of that would still cause one is a DNS lookup
that sendmail might perform while queueing the message.  I do not know
that sendmail does perform a DNS lookup, but that would be the next thing
I'd check after setting DeliveryMode=q.