Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2015 09:58:27 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gmirror/graid or hardware raid?

On Jul 8, 2015, at 15:49, Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br> wrote:

> I'm building a server that is going to host VMs for a small e-commerce
> site. It's mainly going to be used for testing new solutions/improving =
the
> current site (on the cloud at this moment) but in the medium to long =
run,
> the idea is to hold the production site in it.

> Since I don't have any experience in running VMs for e-commerce, I =
don't
> know for sure if my plan is correct or even feasible.
>=20
> I want to use FBSD 10 as the host OS and the VMs will run under =
Virtual Box.

I have been using FBSD / VBox to host both development and production =
sites for about 3 years now. None are E-commerce, but some are a pretty =
heavy load.

> It should be a Dell 430 server (or IBM equivalent) CPU Xeon E5-2630 =
with 4
> 2T SATA HDs/16 G Ram/ RAID PERC H730 controller (supported by mesas).

I am very, very rarely CPU limited. My biggest throttle is a combination =
of Internet connection and disk I/O.

> All VMs will run FBSD also with usual Apache/php/Mysql combination.
>=20
> I really would welcome suggestions/opinions on what would be the most
> efficient way to set up those HDs to hold these virtual disks.
>=20
> I thought about zfs but I won't have lots of RAM avaliable. Should I =
use
> the controller raid? Gmirror/Graid? What raid level?

That=92s a tough one=85 A caching RAID controller can make a huge =
difference in disk performance, but you also run the risk of silent data =
corruption and I have never been really happy with the tools to monitor =
HW RAID controllers. With limited RAM the performance of ZFS can suffer. =
Does the PERC controller have an NVRAM cache and can it be setup one =
drive per presented volume ? I have down that and then used the =
presented volumes in a ZFS pool.

My latest VM server is an older Supermicro with 2 x X5550 CPU and 80 GB =
RAM (the last 16 GB to get to 96 was backordered when I needed to build =
it) and 4 x 500 GB WD RE series drives. Since I don=92t need much space =
per VM, one pair of the drives is a ZFS mirror for the OS and the other =
pair is a ZFS mirror for the VMs. I would really rather stripe/mirror =
across multiple disks for the VM images, but the chassis only has 4 =
drive slots. This configuration is very fast for FBSD guests as well as =
Linux and Windows (Yes, I need them all).

But, my biggest concern with E-commerce would be the Internet =
connectivity and some type of fault tolerant load balancing. My highest =
profile production sites run on SmartOS instances out at Joyent. We are =
_hoping_ to have enough business in the next year to justify moving our =
own servers into a Tier-1 CoLo, but we can=92t justify the cost (yet)...

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org