Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2017 13:37:57 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Restoring sc console look and feel with vt

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 09:56:48 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> > Add this to /boot/loader.conf to return to sc mode.
> > kern.vty=sc
> >
> > or this to tell vt to use text mode which looks and feels like sc
> > hw.vga.textmode=1
> >
> > thats a digit one
>
> Tried, but doesn't work.
>
> With sc:
>
> text (normal) -> X (works) -> black
>
> or
>
> text (normal) -> X (throws error) -> black
>
> With vt:
>
> text (boots normal, but then too small) -> X (works) -> text (too small)
>
> or
>
> text (boots normal and stays that way) -> X (works) -> text (now too small)
>

> Reverting to sc is _not_ an option. I assume it will be removed
> from the system at some point in the future, that's why dealing
> with vt and configuring it is probably the right way to go.

I'm having a hard time understanding if your console text is too small or
your windowed text.  If the latter, then vt settings will not help.

For the former, removing the previous advice from loader.conf would be the
first step.  Then you should be able to find an acceptable setting
experimenting with vidcontrol eg resolution/fonts.

--
Adam