Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 00:15:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   booting problem

Hi,

I have a i386 computer with two hd's (ide).
Well let me give the way the netbsd fdisk sees the disk:

Partition table:
0: sysid 165 (FreeBSD or 386BSD or old NetBSD)
    start 63, size 4080447 (1992 MB), flag 0x0
        beg: cylinder    0, head   1, sector  1
        end: cylinder  254, head   0, sector  1
1: sysid 165 (FreeBSD or 386BSD or old NetBSD)
    start 4080510, size 6538455 (3192 MB), flag 0x0
        beg: cylinder  254, head   0, sector  1
        end: cylinder  661, head   0, sector  1
2: sysid 169 (NetBSD)
    start 10618965, size 5879790 (2870 MB), flag 0x80
        beg: cylinder  661, head   0, sector  1
        end: cylinder 1023, head 255, sector 63
3: <UNUSED>

Okay now....
IN the beginning i only installed freebsd on the second disk.
We are talking about version 3.2 (i upgraded from 2.2.7)
I used the freebsd bootmanager on the first and second hd to boot the
systems.
Okay now..... i replaced both with the netbsd bootmanager.
On the first hd everything is fine.....
On the second hd i am not sure what happened, netbsd boots fine, but
freebsd cant boot anymore.
Because i installed at first freebsd at the second disk, i think freebsd
uses a deicated way to partition the the disk (i believe freebsd can do it
the pc comp. way and the dedicated way?).
Anyway, i tryed to boot freebsd again by disk but that didnt work.
I am very afraid now.... that the bootloader is gone.
Oh yes...... only the first freebsd part. is bootable.
In general i think that net and freebsd use a very other way to deal with
disks, cause free bsd was also complaining about labels not entirely
within the slice etc....
Now, i cant boot freebsd anymore since i replaced the bootmanager with the
netbsd bootmanager. I am not sure what is wrong and what i can do now.
I really dont hope my bootloader is gone, but i really dont know how that
could have happened, cause the first freebsd part. starts of course at
sector 63 whichh i think contains the bootloader normally?
Only sector 0 contains the bootmanager and the partition table.
Can anyone help now? I dont know what to do now.
Bye,

Reinoud.