Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:41:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: await/asleep removal imminent

On 17-Jan-01 Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Jason Evans just added his conditional variables, you could change
> asleep/await into cv_attach/cv_await or something, that would give
> you less contention on the sleep/run queues, but you'd still need
> a spinlock or mutex on these variables.

A condvar already contains the state information that asleep() caches in
p_aleep right now, so just passing condvar pointers around would accomplish
this task using an existing API and is conceptually cleaner:

int
my_lowlevel_func(struct cv **cv)
{
        if (bad_things) {
                *cv = &my_condition;
                return (some_error);
        }

        *cv = NULL;
        return (0);
}

        struct cv *cv;
        if (my_lowlevel_func(&cv) != 0) {
                KASSERT(cv !=  NULL, (__FUNCTION__ ": nothing to sleep on!"));
                cv_wait(cv);
        }