Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:41:23 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping Raid 5 w/GEOM

Michael Dale wrote:
> Norberto Meijome wrote:
>
>> So, should I
>> 1) Boot up with Disc 1, install minimal config, reboot
>> 2) setup GEOM RAID 5 on all the discs ?
>> 3) edit fstab to point to /dev/[what??]/[what else] instead of
>> /ad0s1[abef] ?
>>

> When I installed GEOM for a RAID 1 setup I did the following:
>
> Install FreeBSD on ad0
> Boot CD and run fixit mode
> Setup GEOM and change fstab to gm0
>
> Linky:
> http://dannyman.toldme.com/2005/01/24/freebsd-howto-gmirror-system/

Cheers Michael - that's a great bit of info. Do you know how to do RAID5 ?
I read in

http://www.essenz.com/support/lists/hackers/20040118/69.html

about geom_raid, but it seems to be lost after that.

The other alternative may be to setup a RAID1+0, but that shrinks my
usable space, and I'm not sure how reliable/advisable it is to do in
software.

Thanks again,
Beto