Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 01:38:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: SMC Etherpower II issues

>From owner-freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG Thu Jul 24 13:08:51 1997

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 09:04:54 -0700 (PDT) Ronald L. McDaniels said:
>I have one of the little suckers in my hand as I type... 83C170QF. Too bad
>there isn't a FreeBSD driver (and from all I have heard, one is not in the
>works), my client would have bought a bunch of them (SMC - are you listening?).
>FreeBSD probably is not at the same priority at SMC as gates'97, gatesNT or
>even gates3.11 but if I were an aspiring network interface supplier, I think I
>would have considered all the potential customers, such as those that
>multi-boot systems that have both FreeBSD and gatesWare (or OS2, for that
>matter). Maybe SMC's attempt to gain independence from DEC compatability and
>establish their own market niche will backfire.
>
>Ronald L. McDaniels
>  Trilobyte, Inc.
>
>"Not, not *that* Trilobyte"

Is this the SMC 9432 or the 8432 cards?  I have 3 new FreeBSD servers that
I was about to order SMC cards for.  (The 7 Win95 boxes for another project
can live with the SMC8416's just fine...)

If SMC isn't the preferred FreeBSD PCI ethernet card now, what's a good
choice for servers?

John	(Who needs to order some cards...)

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting