Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:13:03 -0700
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

In article <199707181558.LAA15521.kithrup.freebsd.chat@ethanol.gnu.ai.mit.edu> you write:
>Well, the good ol' FTC is taking a hand in the Internet now.  It
>appears that they have declared it illegal to request information on
>minors without the parent's consent.

As I recall, what they have done was said that it was not permissable to
*sell* personal information gathered abotu a child without the parents'
permission.

Frankly, I don't think they went far enoguh -- I don't want it to be
permissable to sell information about *me* without my consent.  Yet that
happens all the time.

This happened because there was a Web site that collected information about
children, and gave out "points" for candy and/or toys for some activities;
the company then sold that information ("anonymized," they claimed) to
various companies.  This pissed a bunch o' people off.