Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:24:13 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: fuword(), suword(), etc.

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:08:29AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:

> In answer to your question, my answer is still:
>
> "How do you intend to deal with 32 and 64 bit address spaces
>  on the same machine, if all you have is one function for the
>  copyin and one for the copyout?".
>
> Or is there no intent to allow IA32 binaries to run on IA64,
> never ever ever?

What does that have to do with anything? Adding fuptr()/suptr()
has no consequences for supporting or not supporting different
memory models with different pointer sizes. The functions are
defined to operate on native (kernel PoV) pointers. Any non-
native (kernel PoV) ABI has a non-native ABI handler that does
all the mapping, converting and copying bits from userland to
kernel and vice versa.

And I can't believe I actually wasted my time telling you this
when you only have to use your head instead of your keyboard.