Date:              Fri, 23 Jul 99 10:50:24 EDT
From:      M <MBKING0@VM.SC.EDU>
To:        "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
Cc:        mail <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:        RE: Swap space in mfs? (was: vinval buf: dirty bufs)

After a little more testing, I still can't get the system to crash like it
has been.   The "panic: vinval buf: dirty bufs" just has not reared it's head.
I am fairly certain that it was my mounting my swap space as a  memory file
system.  Once I removed the mount, I was fine from then on. It has been
suggested that I have been trying to apply the mfs wrong, and I would like
to know if that is so.

>Hi Marius,

>I had a look at that URL, I guess you are referring to the bit that I
>attached at the end. I think you may have the wrong end of the stick, but I
>also think the wording here is not very clear.
>
>What it really means is that if you have loads of (real) swap space, ie. on
>a the hard disk, you can take advantage of some of that hard disk space by
>creating an mfs. In effect, anything you write to the mfs will quite quickly
>get swapped out onto the real hard disk swap partition, taking advantage of
>the large swap partition to store files.
>
> think you have the exact opposite to what is suggested here, i.e. you have
>your swap space inside an mfs, where you should have the mfs inside the swap
>space!
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Jeff
>
><snipped from http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html>;
*snip*

        I am doing it backwards?  Please tell me what I did wrong.  I have a
preexisting swap space of 80MB.  I then compiled a new kernel with support
for a mfs.  After rebooting to the new kernel, I edit my /etc/fstab and
mount thusly:

/dev/wd1s2b      /tmp     mfs   rw 0 0

     (It just happens that my swap space is exactly where the manual
suggests that it would be in the example.)  So I add the above line to
match all the others, but don't delete any other lines.  (I leave the
other reference to /dev/wd1s2b in there as swap space)  I mount /tmp and
everything seems fine.  Do I really have it backwards?