Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 09:24:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda>
To:        imdave@synet.net (Dave Bodenstab)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions wanted on a non-disclosure agreement

> Hi,
>
> It seems that at least one other person thinks that this might
> be an appropriate place to pose this question.  So for anyone
> familiar with NDAs, or for anyone else who's interested, here goes...
>
> I saw an add on the net for a product that sounded interesting.
> It was targeted for windows users, but the hardware device
> is what was intriguing.  So I contacted the firm and asked if
> the programming specifications were available.  Well, after
> some thought, they offered to release the specs under a NDA.
> When I mentioned that I would want to release any software
> that I write to use the device to the free Unix community,
> they included what I believe is an attempt to accommodate this
> scenario.  I've included the terms of the NDA (omitting the
> identity of the firm) below.
>
> Here's the pertinent part of the document:

Seems OK to me.  Try to get them to state in as plain English as
a lawyer can put together something similar to:

"It is understood by <unknown company> that <insert your organization here>
will use this information to release unrestricted-use source code
under the following copyright for distribution in the
FreeBSD operating system:"

followed by the usual BSD copyright.  This will force their lawyers to
decide if they really want to do it, and should make it clear
that everyone knew up front exactly what was planned.

Keep in mind that as the only individual outside the company with
the technical information you will be the soul technical point of
support.

--

Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936