Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 22:08:07 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Alex.Boisvert" <boia01@gel.usherb.ca>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, kelly@fsl.noaa.gov
Subject:   Re: What can we do about Java?

> > > I have Sun's JDK 1.1.2 running on my system now.  It's "fairly stable"
> > > with respect to Keith White's JDK 1.1 port.
> >
> > Meaning it's more or less stable than the K.White port, or the same?
>
> In general, I think it's more stable...  (What kind of answer did you
> expect from the guy who did it? ;-)

Well, you never know. :)

> > > I will be getting a Motif 2.0 license in the next few days (it's in the
> > > mail).  Then, I'll be able to test threads using HotJava Browser, which I
> > > can't run now because of bugs in Lesstif (presumably).
> >
> > Cool.  I have SRI pay for a copy of Motif 1.2 so I could develop it.
> > I'm not sure 2.0 will work. :(
>
> Isn't Motif 2.0 backward compatible?

I've had problems with replacing a Motif 1.2 compiled binary with a
Motif 2.0 library, and I know that CDE won't work with Motif 2.0. :(

> > Agreed.  JDK 1.1.5 is due out RSN, and JDK 1.1.6 is supposed to be out
> > late this year/early next year.  (Not sure if I would take those dates
> > to the bank though.)  I don't expect to see anything w/regard to JDK 1.2
> > until April/May next year.
>
> What would be good is to get together a ""Team Java-FreeBSD" and
> standardize on some _specific_ JDK release.  This way, we can all work
> together.  Many people have JDK 1.1.4 in their hands now, maybe that
> would be a good starting ("freeze") point?  Perhaps we can wait for 1.1.5
> if it's released in early Q1'98.

I'd like to have your binary port today if possible. *grin*

But, in any case I'd be interested in a Team Java-FreeBSD list.  I've
got a couple tens of thousands of lines of Java code I can throw against
it for testing purposes that uses about every esoteric feature in Java
except RMI. :)

Nate