Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 20:23:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        joe <joe-dated-1037323668.d621ae@dubium.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recovering /etc/passwd (was: REASON #7919 NOT to do things as root!)

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>   # pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd
>
> /etc/passwd doesn't get used much any more.  The real files are
> /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db.  See the man page for pwd_mkdb for more
> details.

And the files in /var/backups/ used by the periodic script have saved my
bacon more than once.

	ls /var/backups
	aliases.bak             group.bak               master.passwd.bak
	aliases.bak2            group.bak2              master.passwd.bak2

One would almost wish that things like the /etc/rc.conf, named and *mc
files where there too :-)

Dw