Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 23:19:21 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION PLEASE:  g77 in base system.

[cc trimmed to avoid cross-posting]

Jeremy Lea wrote:

> I always thought the criteria for inclusion of things into the base
> system was:
>
> 1.  Needed for 'make world';
> 2.  Needed to get a basic functioning server up and running;
> 3.  Something usefull only within FreeBSD (like the kernel ;), or
> 4.  Can't be effectively built outside of /usr/src.

Right or wrong, you forgot:

5.  BSD tradition.

Case 5 justifies Fortran.

Me, I'd rather have Fortran as a port. I'd even grudgingly accept
fortune as a port, as a matter of fact. Our base system is bloated.
While a lot of widely used programs are only available through
ports, a lot of obscure and obsolete stuff remains on our tree. They
are there because of 5. As long as 5 exists, Fortran belongs in the
tree. If we ever get rid of 5, then it's time to get the knife to
our tree... Or the axe, if the vikings decide to have the first cut.
:-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"nothing better than the ability to perform cunning linguistics"