Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:48:24 -0500
From:      Diane Bruce <db@db.net>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time for a fresh start, it's time folks

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 01:14:59PM -0700, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On 22 June 2012 11:42, Benedict Reuschling <bcr@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > I agree with Gabor's statement that we should wait until we are in XML
> > world. Otherwise, we would probably need to throw away anything that
> > excellent progress towards a more modern doc infrastructure. Once the
> > foundation is solid enough, I guess there will be plenty of people who
> > are be willing to work together on a new FreeBSD.org webpage.
>
> Not at all. Making a mockup does not touch our infrastructure at all.
> Gabor's work, while quite useful and appreciated, is completely
> unrelated.

I agree. It really matters little to the web design folk what form the
content is in at this time. A mockup would not get in the way of anything
Gabor or anyone else is doing. In fact, bits and pieces of the xml tree
can mesh in nicely with the new mockup.

> > These things take time, but the webpages are not broken at the moment,
> > just outdated. Hence a replacement should not be our top priority (at
> > least, it's not mine). However, I would be interested to see some design
> > studies if someone is interested in doing them to see what can be done.
>
> Agreed. It isn't urgent "unbreak it now", but if we can, we do need to
> update it.

A good time to do it is *during* the XML conversion, it's quite probable
we could present a new face with a new docs system underneath.

> --
> Eitan Adler

Diane Bruce
--
- db@FreeBSD.org db@db.net http://www.db.net/~db
  Nowadays tar can compress using yesterdays latest technologies!