Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:14:23 -0500
From:      Dong Lin <dong@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ATA code is buggy and slower

My 5.0R kernel complains about "READ timeout" and "resetting" when I try
to dd the disk. But everything *works* if I boot the same equipment with
4.5R and 4.7R. It seems that the error can occur on any sector I pick as
long as I keep reading it inside a loop, a sign of timing problems.

The 5.0 ATA code is so different that I am not sure where to start. If
someone can show me a way to run the 4.7 ATA code under 5.0, I am
willing to debug it.

My equipment: Promise ATA66 controller(0x4d38105a r01), WDC WD400BB
ATA/100, ATA66 cable.

Also, my simple dd measurements show that performance is going down:

dd if=/dev/ad4 of=/dev/null bs=8m
4.5R:	49 MB/s
4.7R:	39 MB/s
5.0R:	does not finish