Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 15:04:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN drivers/cards

> > > around: FreeBSD _would_ support this rate (basically), but the under-
> > > lying hardware doesn't.

[ ... ]

>   I suggest that you stop spreading misinformation that the hardware
> doesn't support 230400bps.  It does.  16670 and better uarts do.

I assume you are replying to the "above" here, and not to me...

>   Nope, it was somone else.  It seems that some the card drivers are just
> re-using the low speed indicators to actually set >115200 baud rates.

Yes.  That was the problem I thought Bruce was going to address (he's
qualified, and he has commit priv's).

[ ... How can you use 230400 ever ... ]

> - Hack the hardware to double the clock rate, so that 115200 is actually
> 230400.  This only works with uarts that have an accessible crystal.

It's also a gross hack.

> - Use a driver and card that is hacked to re-use low speed baud rate
> indicaters to actually specify a higher rate (ex.  150 bps is acactually
> 230400).

Hmmm...

I'm not terribly happy with the pinning of EXTA and EXTB to 19200
and 38400, respectively.  That's the historical value.

The real values are *supposed* to allow you to set "extended" baud
rate options on the chips.  My opinion would be that I think the
window is large enough for an EXTA/EXTB conversion.  Specifically,
there should not be specific baud rates associated with them (and
maybe the real rates should be picked in the kernel config?  I
don't know if this would cost 19.2/38.4, unless some low bits
were reused.

So technically, you should be able to use one of EXTA/B to mean
"230400" for your use...

In any case, termios is *supposed* to support setting these high
rates, since there *are* defined 'B'values for up to 230400, on
the high end.

I think your problem is that the SIO driver isn't taking this?

I'd suggest taking it to private email with Bruce, actually (or
whoever "touched it" last, based on the CVS logs...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.