Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:44:15 -0500
From:      Richard Linane <Typh0on@concentric.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help?

I have tried to install freebsd 2.2 gamma & 2.1.7 that I have downloaded
from the ftp site at freebsd.org onto a IDE Hard Drive that has Win95 as
an OS.
Useing rawrite.exe in the Dos ver.7 mode (no windows) I have
successfully copied the floppy boot image to a disk and booted into the
kernel setup of freebsd--both the 2.2 and 2.1.7 versions.
After setting the proper geometry, partioning and labeling  for the
drive I am trying to install to I have succesfully proceeded to the
installation of freebsd.
I have the same result every time I tried to install.
I have tried to install just bin distribution ( minimal )
I have tried to install everything I could download from the 2.2 gamma
and 2.1.7 directories.
I have tried to install bin from floppies ( both versions )
It has been suggested that I have a hardware problem so I've tried a
different hard drive.  I do not believe it is my system board.
I think I am doing something wrong.
My drives are both IDE controlled from the system board.
I have tried to use fips.exe to reallocate my unused dos partitian for
use with bsd. still no good.
It says in readme text for fips that it cannot split extended dos
partitians.
I have tried to create a primary dos partitian on the drive I'm trying
to install BSD to. I am not able to figure out how to access it from the
drive that contains the freebsd distributions.
Here is my current configureation:

Drive C:\ = 2.5 Gig Quantum IDE Hardrive with W95 (Contains the freebsd
distributions directory c:\freebsd\bin etc...)

Drive D:\ = 1.2 Gig Samsung IDE Hard Drive ( this is the target drive
for the installation of the freebsd installation)
I have tried to give this a primary partition but cannot access it uder
DOS from the first 2.5 gig drive...gives me an unknown file source error
when I try to access D:\ abort retry fail ?
Tried to install a extended dos partition to this drive and use drive C:
as a source....the installation fails half way through installation
process(Unable to extract  bin distribution   it is not available on the
installation media you've chosen)

soooo. I've tried to swap the source and the installation drives
Same problem

I've tried to install from a floppy to both drives no good
Plleeeeeaaassseee help!

I really want this to work but I'm running in circles.
I have ordered th e 2.1.7 ver CD-Rom from Walnut creek
and would to find out I still can't install bsd that would
not be good. :O(

Signed Extremly frustrated but even mor determined
Rich Linane
Typh0on@concentric.net