Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2013 14:29:51 GMT
From:      Andrew Wright <ahamiltonwright@mta.ca>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/180493: Single-user mode console confusion

>Number:         180493
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Single-user mode console confusion
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD qemg.org 9.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Mon Jun 17 11:42:37 UTC 2013     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I have these lines in /boot/loader.conf in order to enable a sometimes-installed serial console device:

boot_multicons="YES"
boot_serial="YES"
comconsole_speed="19200"
console="comconsole,vidconsole"

A side effect of these lines is that entering single-user mode produces a prompt only on the external console.  This was extremely confusing when attempting to boot single-user, as all messages prior to the single-user prompt are produced on the vid terminal (and on the external console), however at the moment that single-user mode is entered, the mirroring ceases.  While it is now clear what happened, the effect is that single-user mode appears to be unavailable.

I have no /boot.config file that would indicate which console is meant to be used for messages.

>How-To-Repeat:
Add these lines to /boot/loader.conf, attempt to boot single user.
>Fix:

I would suggest adding some text to the handbook page "Setting up the Serial Console"
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html#serialconsole-loader

Currently, these page makes no comment regarding single-user mode whatsoever.  Informing the user that configuring the console may well have repercussions on entry to single-user mode will lessen confusion in the future.

 I would therefore suggest adding the following text into section 26.6.6 "Setting up the Console from the Boot Loader", subsection 26.6.6.1 "Setting Up the Serial Console":

Note that entry to single-user mode will only honour input on one console, even if multiple consoles are indicated using the <tt>console</tt> boot option.  Care must be taken that the first named console is available to the system manager entering single-user mode.

I will note that the first sentence in this section "The boot loader and the kernel to use the serial console can be specified by writing one line in /boot/loader.conf" seems very poorly written -- I do not understand what this line is attempting to say.

Additionally, there is already a section "26.6.7 Caveats"; a note here indicating possible effects on single-user boot would probably not go amiss.