Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 02:10:43 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   mirrors confused by "redirect" directives on www.freebsd.org

I have just found that there are pages of the handbook which are
not found on the WWW mirrors. For example, if you go to

  http://www.uk.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html

and click on "Why build a custom kernel?", which is linked to

  http://www.uk.freebsd.org/handbook/x2621.html

you'll get a "not found" error. Try other mirrors and you will see
the same problem. However, this works on www.freebsd.org because
its Apache configuration uses "Redirect" directives such as
this:

  Redirect permanent /handbook      http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook

and [I don't know why] x2621.html does exist in the directory
redirected to, but it does not exist in /handbook. Obviously, this
setup of www.freebsd.org confuses the mirrors, which are then obligated
to use the same "redirect" directives in order to work properly.

I think that there are only two solutions for this problem:

 1. Reorganize www.freebsd.org in order to make the "redirect"
    directives unnecesary.
 2. State clearly in http://www3.es.freebsd.org/internal/mirror.html
    what "redirect" directives are needed.

Cheers,
-- JMA
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **