Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 06:44:33 -0400
From:      "Bill Schmitt (SW)" <software@schmittnet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Portinstall question

I think I'm missing something basic, so if someone could point me to
where that is, I would appreciate it. I been installing software using
portinstall, but I think I'm missing something basic because there seems
to be more guesswork involved that I expected there to be.

How do you know what name to use for the portinstall to work? For
example, I wanted to install MySQL 41. The folders under
/usr/ports/databases include several variations on my-sql. Among others
are mysql323-server, mysql40-server, mysql41-server, and mysql50-server.
In the Makefile for mysql41 it states PORTNAME?= mysql. But trying
"portinstall mysql" or "portinstall mysql41" or "portinstall
mysql41-server" all result in a message that the port doesn't exist. The
command that works is "portinstall mysql-server", which I found with a
basic google search, but I don't find that in the descriptions or
Makefiles. Looking just at what is in the ports tree (or anywhere else
on a 4.9 system), where would I properly find that name?